a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Occasionally I do some light catering work for a friend's charitable events. If anything, this has taught me a valuable lesson about professional food work--that is, I probably would not actually want to do it full time. It's a hella lotta work. I mean, I always knew it was a hella lotta work, I did waitress for three years after all. But actually making hors d'ouevres for an estimated 150 people is another thing, even when one is buying several boxes of frozen hors d'ouevres from BJ's. (Gotta love BJ's!) The remainder of the menu includes:
- Two crudite platters with veggie dip
- Watermelon squares with balsalmic vinegar and parmesan shavings
- Gazpacho (to be served in disposable shot glasses)
- Smoked salmon and creme fraiche on fried wonton crisps

Of all things, I would loved to have a squeeze bottle to do a fancy creme fraiche drizzle over the salmon, but a squeeze bottle has been eluding me and I don't have time to check out the one professional supply store that is open to the public here. The masses will just have to do with a dollop for now.

So now I have to go get coffee, then pack literally about a TON of stuff into my car, drive it over to friend's that has a larger kitchen than I, unpack a TON of stuff, prep and cook, pack it BACK up, drive it to the event site, UNPACK it again, set it up, and serve it.

In all, I will have spent about 12 hours of time on a 90 minute event.

As much as I love food, writing for a living is just so much easier.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Catering is a drag, but writing eats your soul! It's all a great big no-win situation!

    Nah, that doesn't fly. Cooking and writing both rule, regardless of the time and heartache invested. Rock on, little Admin.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger LadyAdmin said…

    The new food processor TOTALLY RAWKS BALLS by the way! =D

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Harbourwoman said…

    Congratulations on the new food processor.. and please clue me in on the squeeze bottle

    Cheers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home