a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Sunday, December 15, 2002

Tonight I am reminded of how strange I am...

I am invited by a girlfriend to attend a Christmas party at a condo on Rittenhouse Square. This is a social step up in the world for my girlfriends and I - certainly none of us could afford such a home.

The host has tastefully decorated his apartment in colors of sage and lemon and brushed stainless kitchen fixtures. I feel terribly out of place amongst men dressed in crew neck sweaters. I find myself bonding with a terribly blonde girl over the Holyfield/Byrd heavyweight fight on HBO.

Afterwards, around 1:30am, I find myself walking 10 blocks home, alone. I do this all the time, walking alone in the city late at night. It's not prudent, but I've never cared. I've never known if I just no longer have a fear of death or assault, or was just stupid, but for the last 5 years, I have often walked home alone without incident. But I walk with my gloved hands outside my pockets, clenched in fists, ready for anything. Who am I fooling, I'm too drunk on Cap'n Morgans and Coke to be a serious threat. But, by Goddess, no one is taking me down without a fight.

As usual, I arrive home with only a serious case of metatarsal muscular burn from my 3" high heels to tell the tale. Once again, my false sense of imperviousness is reinforced by circumstance. Once again I'm left to wonder, was I really the weirdest girl at the party?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home