a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Thursday, February 09, 2006

More fun with insults!

So, there is a guy that works in my company whom I find somewhat attractive, and hell, what's wrong with having a date once in awhile? He doesn't work directly with me, so there is no conflict of interest with regards to fraternization. So I had another co-worker try to lay some groundwork with this guy. In the process, the guy in question defined me as being "super-nice."

WHAT?!

Frankly, it sounds like an insult.

Super-nice is what you call your favorite aunt. Super-nice is what you call your elderly neighbor who occasionally drops off an extra pie she has just whipped up and can't eat by herself. Super-nice is what you call the AAA tow-truck driver who doesn't rip off your axle when he rescues you from the ditch you've accidentally driven into.

Let me drop a hint for you guys: women do not want to be called nice. "Cute." "Compelling." "Sexy." "Smart." "Hot." "Mattressable." Even "attractive" is a better vague-ish pronouncement than "nice."

"Nice" infers that the person in question is so lacking in any identifying characteristics that you couldn't come up with a more definitive adjective. Ugh. It's like the beige of descriptors.

Now, I'm sure you might say "well, he was discussing someone he just met in a work context, so he probably didn't think it appropriate to say something more horn-doggy." Yeah, well, whatever. He was actually talking to his male friend from work, and don't tell me men don't dish just as much as women, cause I know better. Frankly, I'd rather have a guy say "I'm just not into her" rather than say nice. Ick.

Plus, it's just not true. I'm not nice. I don't want to be nice. I would like to be more compassionate, but I don't think that's the same.

So for all ya'll that might be struggling with how to describe me, here's a personally approved short-list of adjectives:
- misanthropic
- literary
- verbose
- hourglass-shaped
- learned
- shrewd
- irresistable
- reclusive
- mildly introverted
- fashionable
- humorous
- cultured
- kinky
- disciplined

4 Comments:

  • At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmph. Bad news for you, babelette. You /are/ super-nice. You're, like, so super-nice you should wear a big S on your chest except for how it'd mar that gorgeous rack. You are one of the nicest people I've ever known. You are lovely, winsome, cultured, compassionate, attractive, admirable, considerate, gentle, helpful, charming, gracious, friendly, good, delightful, winning, and kind. All of which are supposedly synonyms for "nice".

    And none of it precludes you from also being literary, verbose, hourglass-shaped, learned, shrewd, irresistable, reclusive, mildly introverted, fashionable, humorous, cultured, kinky, or disciplined, though I don't think I've ever, ever considered you misanthropic.

    Hah. So there. Suck it up, baby.

    *loves*

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger ACG said…

    you forgot...

    sexy
    sophistcated
    and super nice...

    YOU CAN'T EXCAPE IT! YOU ARE SUPER DUPER NICE.

     
  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger LadyAdmin said…

    Awwwww. :)

    I like "winsome" and "sophisticated." I can be "winsome" and "sophisticated."

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Harbourwoman said…

    sure you can be both winsome and sophisticated. A coy knowing look, a comely way about you and a spunky streak are part of being winsome. Knowing when to use it - that's sophisticated.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home