a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Sunday, January 01, 2006

The joys of the season

The usual Christmas trip to Raleigh, North Carolina. Last year's was a bit onerous. Almost having a fist fight with one's sibling tends to put a damper on things. Thankfully, this year was much calmer. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much excitement.

Until settling in at Zillah's house, numerous hours were spent in Helios Coffee. This is our modern version of Parisian Cafe Society: good coffee, a free wireless hotspot, and a hawt, blue-eyed barista. They could stand to upgrade their menu a bit though.

The week was spent shuttling between Raleigh and other points. Highlights of the trip:
- Me and Bwef trying to convince the bartender at The Hibernian that I do indeed have a more interesting sex life than him
- The foie gras with dear friends at the Underground
- Watching all the Old Raleigh hipsters go to die at the Rockford (decent bartender though)
- Accompanying my teenage nephew as he makes sartorial decisions at Crabtree Valley Mall; God, once he's 18, he's going to look stunning in a Calvin Klein suit
- The Flyers/Hurricanes ice hockey game at the RBC Center with my sibling. We managed to be civil, even cordial. Both teams were dragging in the first period, but picked up afterwards. I felt the Canes played a good game, they just got out-shot.

Even the drive back to Philly wasn't too bad. I would have beaten my all-time best time if I'd not gotten behind an accident south of DC. As it was, I finished in average time.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger ACG said…

    Me and Bwef trying to convince the bartender at The Hibernian that I do indeed have a more interesting sex life than him

    That's why I keep tell you, you have to carry pictures... better yet, a DVD with one of those little portable players.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home