a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Sunday, October 26, 2003

Reason #136 why LadyAdmin is sooooooo fabulous: Last night I was scheduled to house manage my friend's play, The Madness of Misfortune, in Old City, Philly. The chief responsibilities of the House Manager is to take the money for the tickets, log a performance report for the financials, direct attendees to the stage area, and block latecomers once the house is closed for the performance. Because the play was written by the Marquis de Sade, I decide to dress the part for my shift: over-the-knee boots, pinstripe skirt, white starched shirt topped by a black satin corset, black silk necktie, and my Victorian riding hat. It's a combination "proper-Victorian-riding-habit/bad-librarian" look.

Because taxis rarely venture down my block, I usually walk over to the Four Seasons Hotel to have a doorman hail me a cab. Traditionally, I slip the doorman a dollar for this service, which is simple courtesy. As a result, most of the doormen are familiar with me.

So I approach the doorman at the Four Seasons in my full "bad librarian" kit, requesting a cab. The doorman thinks for a moment, then says to me a lowered voice "Follow me." As he crosses the driveway, I follow for a few steps, until I see him approaching a black BMW. In confusion, I stop. He opens the rear door to the BMW, turns, and motions to me to come forward. As I near the car, he turns and says, "This is my driver this evening, Jerry. He will take you where you need to go."

The doorman gave me the hotel car service and driver. Because, obviously, I'm fabulous.

If you wish to view my fabulousness up-close, I should be attending the Dracula's Ball for the PA Ballet on Halloween (not to be confused with the Dracula's Ball dance party at Shampoo). You won't be able to miss me, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home