a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Monday, October 20, 2003

A sample of a very typical IM conversation between
myself and my co-worker, D-.
**********************************************

D says:
Tufte bears repeated reading (EDITOR'S NOTE: Edward Tufte, the leading expert on the visual display of quantitative information)
D says:
he is a genius
D says:
a mad genius
D says:
who writes his books from his lair beneath a south pacific volcano
I says:
he has a lair?
D says:
I should hope so.
D says:
He is a genius
D says:
I am not sure if it is under a volcano
D says:
perhaps it is a small loft over a woman's bookshop in Soho
I says:
maybe geniuses don't always have lairs
I says:
maybe that is a stereotype
D says:
a den?
D says:
an eyrie?
I says:
maybe a snack bar
D says:
What? Who can conquer the intellectual world from a perch atop a rickety stool in an airport snack bar?
D says:
drinking $5 cups of coffee and ten dollar beers?
D says:
You would have no money left for vanity printing
D says:
Next thing you know you will be telling me that the KGB operated out of an Appleby's
I says:
I thought that's what the whole desktop publishing revolution was supposed to be about
D says:
Those are the poseurs. The Kinko's-conqerors, the Postal Instant Press impresarios
D says:
They still think New Courier is the font of choice
I says:
So true mad genius still fritter away their cabbage on vanity publishing?
D says:
all the more to be bitter about when you work goes unrecognized
D says:
but Desktop Publishing would help them get that exotic volcano lair all that much sooner
I says:
with a hovercar?
D says:
and a monorail to carry your henchmen around
I says:
I've been on a monorail..at Disneyworld!
D says:
Yea, I was on that one too. A dissapointingly small number of henchmen, though
I says:
I think they make them all dress up like the Seven Dwarves
D says:
Are you saying Walt employed midget ninja henchmen?
I says:
(surprised emoticon)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home