a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Tuesday, July 22, 2003

A snapshot from city living...

I stopped at the neighborhood bodega on the way home tonight to pick up a few staples. For my Southern friends, "bodega" is more of a New York City term that refers to your local convenience store. I find the term rather poetic, so I began using it a few years ago.

Anyway, I'm walking up to the cashier stand with my items. A young lady is in front of me checking out and as I stand and wait, I allow my eyes to lazily wander over the scenery. As my eye travels downward, I notice some sort of mark on the heel of the young lady in front of me, who is wearing slip on wedge sandals. I tilt my head and focus on what appear to be ink marks; whether it was a prison tattoo or just the playful markings imposed by a child or significant other, it was difficult to tell. The young lady in question certainly didn't have the appearance of a convict, but in this day and age, who can tell for sure? The words on the side of her heel read:

I CONTROL YOU

Hmm. Whether this was intended as a reminder to her or was the young lady's declaration to the rest of the world, I do not know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home