a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Tuesday, July 01, 2003

As "America's birthplace," Philadelphia naturally puts on the dog for the July 4th holiday. Evidence of the sprucing up of "Filthadelphia" increases daily as we near the event. Last night after I left the gym, I got a chance to walk by Independence Hall for the first time since 9/11, when they closed off the street immediately in front of it and rerouted both vehicular and pedestrian traffic. A street crew was out laying down new crosswalk stripes, obviously in preparation for the historically-minded hoardes. This July 4th holiday, we get a new addition to our bag of touristy tricks, the new National Constitution Center, located on the mall two blocks from Independence Hall.

The weather in Philly has finally turned from unseasonably rainy and cold to seasonably hot and sticky. Without a doubt, Philly gets at least as hot and humid as anywhere I know in the South. Except Philly has such coping mechanisms as water ice and Bruster's Ice Cream. Today's indulgence: turtle sundae with butter fudge almond ice cream.

This doesn't mean I have abandoned my fitness goals altogether. Rachel has offered to be my "fitness overseer." She will call me at 6pm, six days a week, to confirm that I have either exercised that day or am on my way to exercising. Afterwards, I call her with my progress report. Last night, I did 3 miles walk/run on the treadmill, followed by my regular Thursday night personal training session. Tonight, with all this indulgence, I'll be forcing myself to knock out 5 miles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home