a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Tuesday, October 29, 2002

This week's needle drop: The Vines' "Highly Evolved."

Like their Swedish dopplegangers The Hives and Hellacopters, Craig Nicholls and his Ozzie bandmates mine the ghosts of "Revolver" and classic surf guitar with the best of them. The brain stem-seizing pleasure of "Get Free" is highlighted by one of my favorite lyrical choruses currently going: "She never loved me/she never loved me/she never loved me/why should anyone?"

This leads me to realize I may be the aural equivalent of a self-mutilator - people who cut themselves as an expression of the internal pain they feel trapped by. Not that I cut myself, because I don't, but there are some days where the internal pain I feel is best released by the sound of an electric guitar so loud and distorted that I think it's going to crack my sternum and turn my gray matter to oatmeal. This is why I'm not a huge hip-hop or techno fan, because I don't get that same cathartic release with that music.

However, traditional bluegrass is always good for the soul...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home