a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Wednesday, January 30, 2002

Most people are familiar with the concept of a "mantra," or the repetition of a word or phrase as part of meditation. Meditating on both the sound of the word as well as the meaning is a procedure for potentially reaching enlightenment. A popular Buddhist in-joke has it that the actual word or phrase doesn't really matter, that one could achieve enlightenment by chanting the word "shit" as much as any other word.

For myself, I think my personal mantra would be "acceptance." It seems that for the last six months, I've been repeatedly encountering situations that require me to learn acceptance, which apparently, I'm very poor at. It seems I'm enough of a control freak in that I feel responsible for the elements or persons that touch my own life and when things aren't going particularly well for those I love or my interactions with them are less than optimal, I tend to get angsty or depressed about it. I'm quite disturbed by this, because I wouldn't have, on the surface of things, considered myself a control freak.

Acceptance....acceptance....acceptance....acceptance....acceptance.....acceptance

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home