a Cheap Holiday

Cheap Holiday

Welcome to a cheap holiday in my life. At least you get to go home at the end of the day!

Thursday, December 20, 2001

Now's the time of year when everything starts happening at once and I can only concentrate on the next five minutes.

First off, my dear friend Kali-the-Avenging-Goddess has finally returned from a semester of school in Europe that did not live up to expectation. I'm sure she's happy to be on familiar shores again and I can't wait to see her!

Secondly, I had dinner with a first cousin of mine and got to meet her now 19-year-old daughter for the first time in my life (unless I met her once or twice as a baby). I hope I came across as "that cool, rockin' cousin."

Finally, my schedule until Dec. 30 is just slammed. Here's the rundown:
Today: 7 hours until I'm officially on vacation. Go to gym after work.
Tonight: Buy cat food and kitty litter. Pack suitcases. Go by ATM for cash. Straighten apartment.
Friday AM: Check email. Feed cat. Load car. Drive to Washington, D.C.
Friday afternoon: Have lunch with friend. Do Christmas shopping in Chevy Chase, MD.
Friday evening: Hang out with Princess, her brother, and her husband. Try to get some sleep.
Saturday AM: Wake up to Princess' dog slobbering all over me.
Saturday afternoon: Pick friend up at National Airport (don't fool yourself, NO ONE calls it "Ronald Reagan Airport," are you kidding me? The guy fired hundreds of air traffic controllers!). Drive friend to his accomodations in Adams-Morgan. Do any last-minute Christmas shopping.
Saturday PM: Hang out with friends in D.C.
Sunday AM: Drive friend to brother's house in Richmond, VA.
Sunday afternoon: Try to visit other friend in Richmond, VA. Drive to Raleigh.
Sunday evening: Arrive in Raleigh, NC. Try to catch up with Kali in Chapel Hill or do last minute Christmas shopping.
Monday AM: Do last-minute Christmas shopping. Drive to Dad's house.
Monday PM: Have dinner with family. Try to catch up with Kali later in evening, if possible.
Christmas Day: Open presents and hang out with family. Call Dreamboy and Bassman in the afternoon.
Christmas Evening: Dress up funky and attend a quasi-private party.
Wednesday AM: Recover. Maybe have lunch with Kali.
Wednesday afternoon: Try to take nephew to see "Lord of the Rings."
Wednesday night: Maybe attend hockey game.
Thursday AM: Recover. Maybe have lunch with Kali. Try to go to gym.
Thursday afternoon: Work on dinner party preparation.
Thursday PM: Have a damn cocktail with friends, PLEASE!
Friday AM: Recover.
Friday afternoon: Go to Harbourwoman's house. Begin dinner party preparation.
Friday, 6:30 - 7:00 PM: Change clothes, do hair and makeup before guests arrive. Begin roasting chicken.
Friday 7:00 PM: Begin apps and drinks service for dinner party. Begin cooking risotto.
Friday 7:45 PM: Begin grilling London broil.
Friday 8:00-10:00 PM: Open main buffet service. Enjoy party.
Friday 10:00 PM - Saturday 2:00 AM: Maybe go out to clubs with friends. Flirt with cute men!
Most of day Saturday: Recover. Go to gym. Maybe shop some after-Christmas sales.
Saturday PM: Go out with friends. Flirt with cute men!
Sunday AM: Go to Sunday brunch with family.
Rest of Sunday: Do as little as possible. Go to gym or go inline skating. Figure out what to do for New Year's Eve.
Jan. 3, 2002: No matter what, report to work!

At least now I can print out this web page and remember what the hell it is I'm supposed to be doing for the next week.

In closing, my department had its Christmas luncheon yesterday and we exchanged "Secret Santa" gifts. My "Secret Santa" gave me a couple of splits of Asti Spumante and a couple small boxes of Godiva chocolates saying, "When I think of indulgence and decadence, I think of you."

Such high praise! I was truly, deeply touched.

Merry Christmas ya'll!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home